I recently stumbled into a problem while attempting to automate a process that required domain credentials while logged in as a local user. I could use RunWait to run the program, but it would fail unless I was a domain user. When I attempted to use RunAs and RunWait together, I was met with an error that was “possibly related to RunAs.” I mean, who knows for sure what it was related to, am I right?
If you know what you’re doing and don’t need my rambling, you can get what you want from here.
If not: I (and countless others) have spoken at length about AutoHotkey and why you should be using it. For the uninitiated, it is an extremely powerful and easy-to-learn scripting language that you can use to fix just about any problem you throw at it. You can use it to automate all your repetitive, boring tasks and even create entirely new workflows. Case in point: this article.
After the third or fourth time typing date += 1,months in a script and coming up empty, I decided I needed to implement this apparently nonexistent functionality. I did few Google searches for this purpose and was met with a similar lack of success, so I figured I’d share my results here.
This function will take an arbitrary date and add (or subtract) a given number of months from it. If you want to return the date three months from today, throw today’s date and a positive 3 at the function. If you wanted to return what the date was 3 months ago, just make it a negative 3 instead. It’s fully fleshed out in the comments if you are interested.
Prior to Windows 8, the multi-monitor taskbar was not even a native feature in the world of Microsoft. They have finally added it, but for whatever reason, did not make it possible to add a clock on the second monitor. I might find myself in the minority here, but for whatever reason, I instinctively want to glance in the lower-right of my visible screen space to see the time. Barring any tweaks or workarounds put in place beforehand, I will find no clock there, and then have to shift my gaze left to see the time. First world problems? Sure. But solving those is pretty much the point of this blog.
The Windows 8 music OSD is a nice little feature of the oft-criticized operating system. The fact that it is so often criticized comes from a whole handful of little complaints about UI choices that are not always defensible. Case in point, the only built-in way to reveal the OSD is by using the volume change buttons. While this might make sense on a tablet or smartphone (I love my Nokia Lumia 920), it is less justifiable on the full OS. A member of the /r/windowsphone community recently asked if there were any way to make this music OSD appear without modifying the volume. The short answer is: technically, no. But we can accomplish effectively the same goal with a simple little workaround with thanks to AutoHotkey.
One of the limitations of using AutoHotkey to control Google Chrome comes in the form of determining the active tab. I have seen this brought up in a number of different places online and have seen some clever means of accomplishing this goal, including looping through all the different tabs and determining the names of each before acting on any of them. Though this would admittedly provide more control, it strikes me as heavy-handed and inelegant.